A very brief reflection on DMC3.

Devil May Cry 3

I have been playing through DMC3 this last week on the HD collection on the PS4. I finished DMC1 and that game just gets better and better every time I go back to it so thought I'd go through 3 again to see how it would go.

DMC3 has not aged as well as I thought it would, it's not as if the game is terrible now but it certainly has some aspects about it that I'm not too fond of. When I think back to DMC3s release the sheer difficulty of it was like this giant wall to tear down and once you got over that came the next logical step and that was getting even better, to the point where taking a single hit made you restart a level. I did a lot of that during my years playing it back then and even to this day SS ranking that entire game is still one of my proudest gaming achievements, but coming back to it now that just doesn't have the same appeal it once did.

After clearing my first run the flow of the game was coming back to me and by the time I wrapped up DMD mode things were close to how they used to be but I wasn't able to agree with my past self when it comes to certain aspects of the game. DMD mode for instance, for the most part just isn't all that fun once you have gotten past the "I need to get ridiculously good at this game" and then when you SS rank everything. Both of those things are very distant memories now and when playing DMD mode just for the fun of it I found myself thinking things like "oh, this boss is actually total shit" or "man, these enemies sure are annoying" very frequently. 

That might make it sound like I didn't enjoy it which isn't the case, it was just a bit sad to go back to a game that during my younger years I put hundreds of hours into and not get that kind of feeling where you missed playing it. I think that is due to the sheer grind it takes to get a very high level of skill in DMC3. DMC has never been a game known to be easy but after playing 3 again it does highlight just how much easier the later games in the series are. Once that drive to improve and get all those perfect ranks goes away the game feels like it's missing something, especially on DMD mode. I think the biggest issue is enemies just have way too much health once they DT in DMC3, again this was something that I actually liked 15 years ago but not anymore. 

To sum it up I guess DMC3 is a game that is only super fun and satisfying when you're playing it at a certain level, which is to say where getting hit once is annoying and I'm definitely not at that level anymore. There was a time where I would have totally scoffed at someone not wanting to touch DMD mode in this game, whereas now I would totally understand that perspective. In a way it makes me appreciate that I had the time I did when this game first launched. While I don't enjoy it as much as I did back then, those memories are still fond to reminisce over. 

Short one this time, master collection tomorrow :)

Peace,

JTB. 


Comments

  1. Great read ! I never played Devil May Cry, after reading your article, seems I’m missing out quite a bit…

    But, master collection tomorrow … ugh, so many games, so little time !

    I look forward to see your master collection impressions !!!

    Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

What I've been playing lately 03/06/2021

Master Collection and managing the NG addiction.

Ninja Gaiden Black - Segmented Master Ninja Speedrun Thoughts