Update - 16/05/2021

The strangest thing about this last month is how long it has felt, feels like it's been ages since I made a video or streamed. I guess that's normal when you make such a big change, I wouldn't say I am used to this yet at all.

I am stilling playing games and yes, Ninja Gaiden is one of them. I even did a couple of speedruns a few weeks ago to test some stuff out without feeling the burden of having to post every little thought or do commentary for them. It was nice to go back to that feeling I had in 2005 when I was just busy playing and breaking things down entirely on my own. That's something I haven't done in a while. I'm working on another one as well which is quite a bit ahead of the last one I finished. I guess that feeling of solitude when it comes to playing NG is something I have gone so long without I forgot how much fun it was. It's not too different from the MKX days of literally spending hours in training mode in a single session just testing things. 

Anyway, in the unlikely event anyone is reading this; don't expect the runs any time soon. Unplugging from Youtube, Twitch, Twitter etc has been great. The world online now is like GTA3 come to life and being away from that has really helped me these last few weeks. 

I have been catching up some TV I missed over the years. Started out rewatching seasons 1-4 of Game of Thrones again due to finding seasons 3 and 4 insanely cheap. I feel like Game of Thrones impact on the world might be swept under the rug due to how poorly it ended but going back through it and it's mind boggling to think how much that TV show changed the world. If you want an easy example, go search YouTube for any type of pop culture focused channel that began before Game of Thrones started airing. Go even further and try to find one that pre-dates season 3 or 4. I couldn't find any, hell I saw season 2 breakdowns as recent as 3 years ago. I am tempted to dig very deep into this but I won't, that kind of obsession is something I am actively avoiding. I do recommend looking into it though, it's very fascinating to look back on the last ten years in that regard. It's one of those things I am hoping someone does eventually.

Started watching Boardwalk Empire too, gives me Bioshock / Rapture vibes which might be why I am enjoying it so much. I do like the visuals of that era and prohibition is something that is almost hard to believe in this day and age. I was also surprised to learn just how recently this show was made, this got me thinking again of the impact of Game of Thrones and oddly enough The Walking Dead. In terms of shows that started around 2010 I think it's reasonable to say that those two had probably the biggest impact since the days of sitcoms. 

One thing that I am finding odd is the feeling of idle hands when watching a lot of TV though, it's impossible to get that when playing a game but it definitely happens when watching something. I realise in this day and age a lot of people rarely sit down to watch something anymore, the amount of people I have heard say they watch something while on their phone or just have it on the background is really weird. I guess when you have access to literally hundreds of thousands of hours of programming the need to get through it can supersede the desire to watch it and take it all in. It wouldn't be an exaggeration to say I watch films or TV through the same lense as something like a karma run in NG. 

That does it for this one, until the next one which will be whenever it goes up. 

Peace :)

JTB.



Comments

  1. Hi! Happy to hear from you, seems you’re doing pretty good :)

    While I don’t hold my breath for any new video, I am re-watching and/or listening to the old ones, it’s quite enjoyable

    As for the Game of Thrones, I am probably in a very tiny part of the people that watched season 8 and enjoyed it. Sure, it could’ve been 2 seasons instead of one, some of the stuff was … questionable to say the least, but heck, it was good to watch for me anyway

    And yeah… I don’t really watch tv shows anymore, mostly playing games or watching YouTube nowadays. Although when I watch a movie, I do watch it, I don’t look at my phone while the movie is running, geeez. I can’t imagine people really enjoying the movie if they look at Facebook =_=

    Looking forward to the next piece you’ll write !

    Have fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's really nice to hear you're doing alright! I'll be eagerly awaiting your return, till then keep on keeping on.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Master Collection and managing the NG addiction.

What I've been playing lately 03/06/2021

Ninja Gaiden Black - Segmented Master Ninja Speedrun Thoughts